Tuesday, June 28, 2016

DIY Face and Body Scrub


In the past, I always thought that exfoliating was a waste of time. However, after learning about the benefits of exfoliation, I figured I should definitely make sure I do it on a regular basis. Exfoliating the skin helps remove dead skin cells from the skin’s surface, which in turn, has many helpful effects including: softer skin, diminished signs of aging, reduced acne, and a more even tan. Though the process is somewhat time consuming, it is worth it in the long run. 

I have recently been experimenting with different face and body scrubs. Though I have found a few that I liked, I was not overly excited about any; plus I found out that a few scrubs I was using actually contain small beads that are bad for the environment. I decided that a homemade scrub might be the best choice since it is all natural, good for the environment, and can be tailor made for different skin concerns. I experimented with a few concoctions, and found a face scrub and a body scrub that I love and that does great things for my skin. 



Face Scrub

When making a face scrub it is important to understand your skin type. I, personally, have very sensitive skin. Even though my skin is sensitive, exfoliation is still important. I love using coconut oil as a base for my scrubs because coconut oil, itself, has tons of benefits, including, moisturizing skin, fighting signs of aging, and helping with acne. In order to create an exfoliant, you have to add a corse material to the coconut oil to help rub off the dead skin. I use baking soda since it is very fine and will not irritate my sensitive skin. If you are blessed to have less sensitive skin, you can use brown sugar or even granulated sugar instead. I shy away from using any essential oil or fragrance in my face scrub because I do not want to add anything that might irritate my skin. I use the scrub a couple times a week at night while washing my face. 


Ingredients

1 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup baking soda

Directions

Combine ingredients into a bowl. Mix well, making sure that all of the baking soda is fully incorporated. You can use brown or granulated sugar instead. More baking soda can be added if you feel the scrub is not coarse enough. I like to test out the scrub after I mix it to make sure the consistency is good. Once you are happy with your scrub, place the mixture into a jar or container. I like using mason jars, but any container with a lid will work. 

Body Scrub

I like to make a separate body scrub to use in the shower. For body scrubs, I also like to use coconut oil as the base. However, for the coarse material, I like to use granulated sugar since I generally want a more intense exfoliator for my body. I also use the addition of essential oils in my body scrubs as well. The essential oils not only add a great scent to the scrub, but each type of oil has its own benefits as well. I can never decide what scents I would rather so I usually make a couple different scrubs so I can choose depending on my mood. My two favorite oils to use are lavender oil and orange oil. The lavender oil is great to use at night because lavender is a natural stress reducer. It also helps induce sleep. The orange oil has a fresh citrus flavor, which I love to use in the morning since it helps wake me up. It also has antidepressant properties and helps improve dull skin. I don’t like to store my scrubs in the shower since coconut oil has a low melting point and I don’t want my scrub to become soupy. I use my body scrubs a few times a week. It is a great thing to use before shaving to help get a closer shave. However, make sure not to use a scrub right after shaving because it can irritate the skin. 


Ingredients 

1 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon essential oil of your choice

Direction

Mix coconut oil and sugar until the sugar is fully incorporated. Add your choice of essential oil and mix well. As with the face scrub, you can add more sugar if it is not coarse enough. Once the scrub is to your liking, add it to your jar. I label all of my scrubs especially if I am making multiple scrubs with different oils in order tell them apart. 


I have been really enjoying making homemade skin care products. I like knowing that what I use has quality ingredients and no harmful chemicals. I also love that each person can make products that benefit their own skin. I hope you enjoy making and using your body scrub!


XO Tres Chic Lifestyle

No comments:

Post a Comment