Thursday, June 16, 2016

Magnolia Bakery's Famous Banana Pudding



I always try to eat a lot of fruit and incorporate fruit into desserts. I especially love using bananas. I love adding bananas to oatmeal or smoothies in the morning and I am currently obsessed with any dessert containing the scrumptious fruit.

Recently, I was looking through some cookbooks to find something interesting to make, and I started by looking through The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook. There are a lot of good recipes in the book that I have made before, but suspiciously, I have never tried the Banana Pudding, which has caused me to not only judge myself, but rethink all of my past decisions! This pudding is so good. It is light and refreshing and full of banana flavor. After reading the recipe, I am not sure how I ignored a recipe that contains pudding, Nilla Wafers, and bananas before, but the good thing is, I finally tried it and I will be making this plenty in the future.

If you have never been to the actual Magnolia Bakery, it is the cutest little bakery. There are a bunch of locations in NYC as well as locations in Chicago and Los Angeles. I have only ever been to the one located in the SOHO area of NYC. I have been there a few times, and have never been disappointed. I don't remember seeing the pudding at the bakery, but apparently they do sell it there. In the past, I have tried their cupcakes, cookies, and brownies, all of which are amazing. For those of you who can't make it to the actual bakery, the cookbook is a good option. If you find yourself looking for a good summer recipe and are a banana lover like me, you MUST make the banana pudding ASAP!

The Recipe



Cook Time: 24 hours (this sounds scary, but I promise it's worth it)

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups water
1 3oz package of vanilla pudding
1 14oz container of sweetened condensed milk
3 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 12oz box of Nilla Wafers
4-5 bananas, sliced

Directions



Combine water, pudding mix, and sweetened condensed milk into a medium sized bowl. Mix to combine. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 4 hours.



After the pudding has set, place the heavy cream and vanilla extract in a different bowl and using an electric mixer, blend until soft peaks form.



Stir the pudding mix to loosen the mixture, and add the whipped cream a third at a time, making sure to fold the cream into the pudding in between additions.



To finish the pudding, place a layer of Nilla Wafers and bananas in the bottom of a serving bowl. Add a layer of pudding and repeat the process. I like to end on a pudding layer and decorate the top with Nilla Wafer crumbs and sliced bananas.



Once the pudding is complete, refrigerate for at least 24 hours. You're going to want to eat it immediately, but trust me, it is even more delicious after it sits over night. If you use bananas to decorate the top, make sure you do not add the top layer of bananas until right before you serve the pudding or else they will turn brown.



That's it! Though it is a time consuming process, it is also one of the easiest things to make. This can also be made using smaller containers, such as mason jars instead of one large serving bowl. Feel free to get creative and I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did!

XO Tres Chic

Recipe adapted from The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment