Thursday, June 9, 2016

Summer Makeup Essentials


Picture of makeup bag
                     


Don't get me wrong, I love summer, but sometimes putting on makeup during the summer can seem like worthless effort. Some days, I spend so much time putting on makeup only to go outside and have it melt right off my face. Recently, I have discovered some holy grail products as well as some tips and tricks that have become a life saver!


                                  
For face
                                  
I feel like face makeup is the most challenging during the hot months. It's the easiest part of the makeup routine to get ruined by the heat and humidity. Therefore, it's the one area that I make sure is completely summer proof. The most important way to start your makeup, is to make sure you apply both a moisturizer as well as a good sun protectant. If you're lazy like me, you can use an all in one product such as this spf moisturizer from Mario Badescu.

                                 
After moisturizer, I like to apply a primer, especially when it's hot and humid outside. I really like this Photo Finish Primer Water from Smashbox. It can be used as multiple products. (Hint, I love products that double as other things, because obviously, I'm lazy.) This primer is great as a base to hold the foundation to the face, but it is also great to spray on your face after you finish your makeup as a setting spray. I even keep a trial size in my purse to spray throughout the day.

I try to make sure to use as many cream products as possible in the summer, because I find that cream products with stand heat much better than powder-based products. Tart Cheek Stains are a great product. They are cream blush sticks that go on great and have a good staying power. I like this shade, which is called Fearless (P.S. this shade is currently on sale on Sephora's website). The highlighter and contour products I use are also cream sticks. This Clinique Chubby Stick in 01 Hefty Highlight provides the perfect glow and will definitely stay put. This Tarte Sculptor stick in Park Ave Princess is great to apply to the hollows of the cheek, forehead, and even the bridge of the nose. It is a subtle contour, which I personally like in the summer.

For eyes
                      
I tend to shy away from dramatic eye looks in the summer. Not only does a lot of powder shadows tend to look heavy during the summer months, it sometimes feels uncomfortable when it's scorching outside. I tend to use a few cream products instead. I often use cream stick eyeshadows like the ones pictures from Make Up Forever. They are the Aqua Shadow sticks in 20E and 28E (very creative color names). However, it looks like these have been discontinued, but these are very similar. I also make sure to use a mascara that will stay in place. I love the Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara. Not only does it do great things to my eyelashes, it definitely stays put.

For lips

                      
I always like to apply a lip balm before any other lip products. However, in the summer I make sure to add a lip balm with an spf to protect my lips from the evil age inducing sun. I love this one from Sun Bum. I particularly like the coconut one, which as a side note tastes delicious, not that I intentionally consume it. I also tend to shy away from heavy lipsticks in the summber. I love the Clinique Chubby Sticks, which are light, but have good color payoff. The one pictured is in the shade 01 Mighty Mimosa, which is no longer available, but this one in 05 Plushest Pink is nearly identical.


There are many other great summer makeup products out there. As I mentioned earlier, in my experience, cream products tend to have the best staying power when it's hot outside. I also make sure to set my makeup once I finish applying it, which holds everything in place much longer. I hope these tips help your makeup look flawless!

XO Tres Chic

No comments:

Post a Comment